Monday, March 9, 2009
Thousands of girls in South Africa are queuing up each month to prove that they are virgins, reviving an African tradition seen by many as the answer to the scourge of AIDS.
Bare-breasted teenagers wearing nothing but strings of beads and colourful loincloths regularly submit to the ordeal of having a stranger check if their hymens are intact, leaping for joy when the test confirms that they are still virgins.
Advocates say the revival of the rite, which had died out in all but a few rural areas late in the 20th century, is the most effective way to stop the spread of teenage pregnancies and the deadly HIV virus, believed to affect one in 10 South Africans.
Opponents argue that the practice is unconstitutional, unhygienic and violates the human rights of those being tested.
“Those who are behind the comeback…say that if we test young girls to see if they are virgins they will be fearful and will not engage in sexual activity,” said Phumelele Ntombela-Nzinande, former deputy head of the Commission for Gender Equality.
“We are arguing that this practice undermines the principles of equality, freedom and human dignity. It is difficult to tell whether or not a girl has had intercourse and after touching about 600 girls you can easily transfer infections.”
Girls between the age of seven and 26 lie on a mat in front of the woman doing the test, which only takes a few seconds. It is often carried out with bare hands and the tester seldom washes them.
Girls who pass get white stars pasted on their foreheads and a certificate confirming their virginity.
“We have come here to celebrate and keep our culture going,” 16- year-old Brenda Mkhize told Reuters television after her test.
“It’s better to be a virgin than to have AIDS and have a baby at the age of 16…we don’t see any reason to sleep with a guy, and I think I will stay like this until I get married.”
Mkhize was one of hundreds of girls attending a virginity celebration at a sports stadium near Durban in December.
Afterwards, the girls sang and danced in traditional Zulu fashion.
“We are here because we are proud of ourselves, because we are virgins,” another girl said.
Any volunteers from Asia for this tests??????
Well physical virginity tests were also reported in India as shown in the video above dated August 3rd, 2009. That so called tests received widespread condemnations by leaders and elders.
- Checking it out, this news seems to back from 2000 or 2001.But the thing that amazes me most is: why is the testing done in full glare of the general public??
- i dont know…… and it was done in south africa……. a well developed country…. and not in guinea buisseau or new caledonia or papua new guinea or congo!!!!!
- Very funny test system..Canno be ..like thisWhy they din’t use any room or clinic. Too privacy.
- Yes LanaBulu.. it’s really funny indeed!!!
- some low class family in iran do the test too. they do it before marriage and it is done by a gynacologist.there are many doctors who has made a futune out of fix the virginty!!!
- to mr or mrs. shameDon’t bring your country down.cause it seems you should be iranian.it is never have been like that in iran.just if any future husband asks for the test!and it’s just 1 in 10.000 .wich may happen in any other asian or middle eastern country.any ways i agree with the fact that this test is very ugly and against women rights.
- Damn. Damn. Damn this horrible culture. As well as the cruel nature that inflicted all these injustice to women. Why don’t these ignorant women stand up to all this crap? Why?
- such a shameful test, not because it is taken in public, but, because it is a real violation of women rights.To mr or mrs Anonymous 1! : I haven’t heard of such a test in iran either. But, you know it is still of high importance among many iranian families, causing a lot of women not to have sex before marriage.
- Thanks for the comment Sara, Anonymous and others… will appreciate if you all can tell me wether this practise is still being done in other parts of the world… Thanks very much
- آخه سی ساله که تخم اسراييل رو نتونستن بخورن. همه اش شعار مفته . فقط ملت ايران رو غارت کردن. کس اول آخر محمد و موسي.oder
- Shamewhat kind of test you are talking about I had been in Iran for 34 years and I have never ever eared something about what you said. I agree that somebody are reluctant to marry with the girls who had sex before but never such a test have been conducted
- So at the end they have certificate,shows that they are VIRGIN, how great! i’m 100% agree with shame, it is the bitter fact in iran. please notice before respond comment; he/she said :some low class family in iran… and unfortunately it is a hot business for some doctors.
- I am Iranian Lady and i never heared about a similar test in iran. i will be thank full if shame let us now where he/she live. in which city of iran you live? and why you try to change the reality?
- I don’t know why some guy deny this fact in Iran? I am not from Iran but I have live in Iran,Isfahan city,for 5 years as Afghanistani illegal refugee. When I was in Iran,I saw many similarity between my country and Iranian culture. one of this similarity was virginity test that are done by groom’s mother in zafaf(first night of marriage ) and if bride was not virgin,as a result, marriage is canceled and this act is considered ignominy and dishonor for that girl and her family and even familiars.this tradition stay alive in Afghanistan and Iran and many of neighbor countries.even in urban areas like capital city Tehran, Recreating virginity with surgery is widespread.now I question from those guys who deny this fact why you deny?in addition to this tradition there is another shameful and horrible tradition that only carry out between Kurds in middle east. I haven’t seen that in another place even my country and that practice is Female Circumcision. in the Kurdish areas of Iran and Iraq, supporters of the practice say it controls women’s sexual desires and makes them “clean.” Food prepared by uncircumcised women, for example, can be considered unacceptable.I think we shouldn’t deny this fact and we should seek how solve this problems.
- This shameful act has no place in Iran. Iranian society is developed and civilized enough not to let anyone to carry such barbaric act on its girls.
- It’s biggest lie that I heard…it’s impossible to get this test in Iran, because its so rude for Iranian people to do this, whether in their religion or in their culture.nobody cant stand this test in Iran…
- Excuse me last Anon, in the English language two negatives do not make a negative, but rather a positive. So saying that “nobody can’t stand” means “everybody can stand”. This is not the case in the Persian language though.
- This such tests have never taken a place in Iran! Of course some families are still concerned about virginity but they never have this kind of test! The guy or girl from Afghanistan: Please never ever compare your culture with Persians! Everyone knows what’s going on in Afghanistan in terms of women’s right! You might have been a construction worker there and probably the people you used to socialize with, were at the level of those families who are concerned about virginity but I bet non of them have that kind of virginity test! If you want to talk a bout history and hundreds years ago, then we can bring up all the world including Europe that virginy was one of the most important issues among high class families! (i.e. Victorian era in England)while now its matter of low class familes. Iran already has passed its “Victorian” era but Afghanistan for sure has a long way to go!!Na
- Shame and Me: It’s a bitter fact that some people still care about virginity as so many families in Canada or Australia! But here we’re talking about “virginity test” not the importance of virginity! I am not Iranian but have lived in Iran for several years and never heard of such tests! Besides (no offense to Iranian girls) never seen a virgin as well :)) Which is a great proof that they (Iraninans) do not care about virginity at all!!
- Thank you very much to all of you who dropped by and took your time to read this blog.. I really appreciate it. But seriously, i dont think this virginity tests are being done in any part of Iran or other Asian countries. The photographic proof showed that this obnly happens n Africa – not all parts of Africa but certain parts.. Happy reading everybody.. Women, Men, Boys and Girls…
- yes. it is true 3o years ago, when i was in Iran, every girl before marriage ( aghd } accompanied with girl’s mom and one member of the groom family would go to a doctor to be exam for virginity. i don’t know about now these days. All respectable family did this. whoever disagree with this custom either they are very young or don’t know what they are taking about, even shah’s wife Farah have gone Thur this. this was done to stop any false TOHMAT accusation. but what is happening in Africa it is unbelievable, they didn’t do this way in Iran, always girl was exam by a doctor I am a Iranian girl, and I am from very educated and well off family.
- Thanks for the comment Anonymous… i am sure the Iranian government will do its best to protect the well beings, sanity & honour of all Iranian women.. Thanks for reading..